nanog mailing list archives

RE: Banc of America Article

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:19:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Al Rowland wrote:

Or,

IIRC, the ATM system is similar to CC transactions. A best effort is
made to authorize against your account (Credit Card or Banking) but if
it fails and the transaction is within a normal range (your daily card
limit) the CC/ATM completes the transaction.

So you're telling me that if I go to Kwik-E-Mart, cut the wires, put my
card with a $0 balance in it will happily let me withdraw money?  Somehow
that doesn't sound right.  How would it know my PIN, or would it assume I
entered it correctly?  How would it know my daily card limit?

Charles

Best regards,
Al Rowland