nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reports of flooding in Tyson's Corner Virginia

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:10:35 -0500

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 05:33:20PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
In a message written on Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 03:41:19PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
The associated press is reporting that parts of Tyson's Corner is
experiencing flooding, and officials are restricting access.

As some folks are aware the Tyson's Corner area is/was a very
dense colocation and peering center for the Internet.

Having just been in that area yesterday, I think I can explain a
bit.

To many people Tysons Corner == Tysons Corner Mall, I and II (yes,
two different malls across the street from each other).  I is a
fairly normal american mall, II has more "upscale" stores in it.

Anyhow, the II part has been closed twice this week, once on thursday
for a bomb scare, and today due to roof issues (unclear from the
reports on TV if there is an actual problem, or if they are just
scared of one).  As such, the mall is closed, along with a few
access roads for it.

Looks like 30 stores on the upper level were flooded (probably too strong
a word, "slightly moistened" would seem more appropriate) due to a roof
leak, and the mall was closed.

Hardly a danger to the internet, unless there are more people than I know
doing their private interconnects through Macy's.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras