nanog mailing list archives

RE: VoIP over IPsec

From: "Bender, Andrew" <abender () taqua com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:25:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: tedawson () attbi com [mailto:tedawson () attbi com]

Comments inline:
At 01:34 PM 2/17/2003 -0500, Charles Youse wrote:

So do you suppose that in my scenario, I'd be better off
leaving the VoIP out
of the encrypted tunnels and use a separate [cleartext] path
for them?

Oh goodness no. VoIP (SIP specifically) has no real security
in it. Call
hijacking for example is a matter of sending a pair of
spoofed UDP packets to
each phone and having the voice streams arrive at the
attackers machine. Not
pretty, and I do this trick (and worse) daily. (in a lab as
part of work of
course)

What about sips:/TLS, S/MIME, and digest auth? These are all integral to the 'standard', and many popular
implementations support these facilities currently.

IPSec may be less painful within a single domain, but in other cases, I'd think that these facilities (or their
derivatives) are the only practical option for 'real' security. Granted it is all pretty worthless if you dont
enable/use any of it... Am I missing something?

Regards,
Andrew Bender
taqua.com