nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Selfish Routing"

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:39:48 -0600

Thus spake "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike () swm pp se>
When I read the article I didnt recognize anything in it that correlated
with my understanding as to how BGP et all works. Am I the only
one who after reading it thought the author needs to cut back on
whatever drugs he is taking?

I have never seen any router "send test packets and time them" nor take
congestion into account when doing routing decisions?

There are indeed commercial and in-house products which use probes and
traffic measurement to influence the BGP decision process.  Watch tarpit
logs for sites that ping every subnet on a regular schedule.  I hope this
doesn't catch on or all the pings may drown out real traffic...

As a general description of Internet routing, I agree it's laughable -- but
the technology does exist.