nanog mailing list archives

Re: shuttle flash crowd statistics

From: "Jack Bates" <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:00:36 -0600

From: "Sean Donelan"

Historically providers have been reluctant to provide that level of
detail concerning traffic levels.  A few providers, generally smaller
ones, do make MRTG graphs available.  Once in a while a provider will
announce they had X Peta/Terrabytes of traffic for some time period.
But most prefer measurements which can not be correlated with revenue
(e.g. packet drops, latency, jitter, availability, etc).

You mean a lot like when IE 5 first came out? As a result, I got the
priviledge of shutting one of my providers off. :)  It's sad when a 3Mb pipe
is prefered over a 12Mb pipe; even sadder when it's actually faster. Glad I
learned my lessons before I really learned the meaning of bandwidth. :)

-Jack