nanog mailing list archives

Re: A headsup re Verizon Wireless paging

From: Dave O'Shea <daveoshea () sbcglobal net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:15:43 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure I'd fault Verizon, it's got to be a major
pain to keep the spam level down on pagers. It would
probably be useful if SMS/paging companies posted a
"this is the approved way to...." guide for customers.

I set up nagios/netsaint with a pager system, and
programmed it to send an "all is well" page twice a
day  to a couple of key people. If you have one of the
super-duper(tm) motorola pagers that skytel uses, you
can even filter those messages so they won't set off
the audible alert; they just show up in the "received"
list. I made a habit of checking the freshness of
those messages right before staff meetings and
customer calls.

--- "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne () staff msen com> wrote:

  email address) to monitor your network, your
alerts may be blocked
  without notice.

The saga:

We use multiple paging companies for our pagers,
under the theory
that redundancy is a "good thing".  Last week, our
people who carry
pagers from Verizon Wireless realized that they were
not getting
pages from our Netsaint monitoring system, although
they were
getting other pages and people carrying pagers from
other paging
companies were getting Netsaint pages.