nanog mailing list archives

Re: Humidity ranges?

From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:00:25 -0400

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:35:24 -0400
 Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

Todd Mitchell - lists wrote:

| and when I should
| complain to the datacenter operators? (References I can point to would
| be nice.)

When your equipment starts to rust ;)

I don't have any technical references, but I think that anything over
65% is probably too much.  Most facilities I have equipment in do not
exceed that mark.

It isn't a *huge* issue (within reason) unless you have printers around
and the inherent paper.  Big lasers are notoriously finicky about
humidity, which directly affects the paper quality.

If you are running lots of mag tape, humidity > 60 % starts to really
increase tape and head wear. If new tape heads are part of your
regular operating budget, I would keep the humidity < 50 %.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

Otherwise, just keep it well below the dewpoint :-)

Jeff