nanog mailing list archives

RE: [operations] FW: abuse case management

From: "Damian Gerow" <damian () sentex net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:36:49 -0400

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, William Devine, II wrote:
I used RT a looong time ago around 1998 & 1999 and liked it, but OTRS,
compared to THEN features is superior.  I haven't tried RT yet, although I
did start installing it and I know I gave up on RT once when trying to
install it but got OTRS up and running rather easily, so I can't say about
their new things.
I do know that there is a feature article this month in Linux journal, Linux
review or one of the Linux related mags that states that OTRS is used by one
national British ISP that pumps 20,000 tickets per DAY through it, and one
business that has around 2,000 CSR's using OTRS for customer support
services, both using MySQL as the database backend.   I thought that was a
pretty good testament as well.

We have been using RT for some time now, and it's incredibly easy to get up
and running (especially with a ports system).  It's not even close to
processing 20k tickets/day, but it definitely handles what we give it.

RT has its quirks, but Jesse Vincent is a good guy, and it's mindbogglingly
easy to customize it.  There's more testemonials in the NANOG archives I
believe.

And getting back to the original post...

Mikael Abrahamsson asked:
Is there an abuse case management system as freeware somewhere, something
like all the ticket/case handling packages out there, but more
specifically aimed at abuse/complaint handling. I googled some but couldnt
find any.

I haven't checked it out yet, but Jesse's written an interface to RT
specifically for Abuse desks - it's called RTIR.  Look through
http://www.bestpractical.com/ and http://www.fsck.com/pub/ for mote details.

  - Damian