nanog mailing list archives

Re: Selfish routing

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 02:20:05 -0400

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:56:20 EDT, alex () yuriev com said:

I live in rural America. I provide access for rural America. There is
only one public exchange point close buy and it is over 100 miles from
my nearest pop (and the exchange has it's own problems). Capacity from
various networks is limited, and it can take over 6 months to get the
carriers upgraded to handle a new OC3, much less OC-12 or gig-e.

Why are you getting carriers to upgrade to handle OC-3 as opposite to
getting your own dark fiber and lighting it up? In 6 month they will build
you the 100 miles in nowhere. It is actually a lot more difficult to get
them to cross Park Avenue in Manhattan then it is to get fiber into rural
area.

Umm.. Alex?  There's places around the US that would make a fiber pull
across Park Avenue look like a cakewalk.  We're talking places that won't
get a fiber pull because no company will lay 50 to 100 miles of fiber before
having a *guarantee* of multiple customers to amortize the cost over.

Wyoming/Idaho... Maine.. Appalachia..

http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu is what we're doing to try to fix the
chicken-and-egg problem (basically, the same build-and-privatize model that
we already used for http://www.bev.net and http://www.networkvirginia.net).

http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu/papers/location/lenowisco/Demo%20Slide%20Show.pdf

Go look at page 3, and ask yourself what provider in their right mind will
start pulling dark cable to *THERE* - closest reasonable city is Knoxville TN
at around 100 miles away.  We're talking about places that make Blacksburg VA
look like suburbs.. ;)

On the other hand, if you're a provider that thinks this makes sense, let
us know.. ;)