nanog mailing list archives

Re: DS3 Coax..

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:46:16 -0500

Thus spake "Josh Richards" <jrichard () cubicle net>
Before fiber and ADMs were so common, in the days of buried coax
for DS-3s (between COs and for the occassional large customer),
coax was obviously being used for inter-building connectivity.

How exactly did the topology differ?  Besides fiber, which eliminates
the issue of ground loops and such altogether, how did the RBOCs
actually deal with this problem when they didn't have fiber in the
ground?

Look in the telco vault of any large building old enough to have POTS lines
coming in on real copper -- there'll be huge fuse panels, one fuse for each
line; same technology was used for T1 and T3 circuits as well, though
probably with different fuses.  I can't specify exactly what type of fuses
or panels you would buy, as I've religiously avoided inter-building copper
myself.

Fiber good, copper bad.  Move along :)