nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

From: Rafi Sadowsky <rafi-nanog () meron openu ac il>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:21:05 +0300 (IDT)

## On 2002-09-10 09:45 -0400 alex () yuriev com typed:

Hi Eliot

 Maybe I'm missing something obvious but do how you get rate-limiting per
TCP *flow* with Cisco IOS ?

It is more trouble than its worth.

 IMHO there are other problems beside SPAM that can use per flow
shaping/rate-limiting

SPAM is not a technical problem. It is a
social problem. Using technical methods is not going to solve the problem.
In the end, every time we come up with another method of detecting and
blocking spam, another method is bypassing this defense is going to show up.

 How about using a combination of technical and "social" measures
For example in a Cyber Cafe use passive technical measures to count the
total number of outbound SMTP sessions and charge 1$ per Email over an
average rate of 2 Emails/minute and 10$ per Email exceeding a rate of 10
per minute

Alex

--
        Rafi