nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:41:08 -0400

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:12:15 PDT, Joe St Sauver said:
Actually, our experience *does* follow the backoff paradigm: if you block a
particular source of spam, that rejection *does* seem to trigger "message
volume" backoff at the source, with only periodic check probes apparently
designed to see if the spam source is really still blocked (and of course
it really still is).

Yes - but since they need to have N replies to their spam to make it worth
the effort, they will just pound on somebody ELSE.  I saw one quote from
a very unapologetic spammer who was complaining that with all these blocks
he had to send a lot more spam and his costs were up 1000% as a result.

Let's say a spammer needs 100 replies to turn a profit, and 1% of the things
that make it into a mailbox get a reply.  If nobody blocks spam, then the
spammer only needs to send 10K messages before he profits.  If 99% of spam
is blocked, he has to send a million.  That's why we're seeing statistics
like "receives 2 billion pieces of mail a day and 80% is spam".

Think of it like a host with multiple A records - if one A goes down, they
*do* stop trying that one, but they then fail to use backoff on the OTHER
addresses.... ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer