nanog mailing list archives

Re: AMS-IX problems

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:11:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Nipper, Arnold wrote:

There seem to be large scale problems at the AMS-IX. BGP sessions with
peers keep oscillating. Since their own addresses keep jumping all over
the place, it is not possible to reach anyone over the AMS-IX tech list.

I have disabled all AMS-IX peerings for the networks I manage, and I
suggest everyone who is present there looks in to doing the same.

According to Henk Steenman (CTO AMS-IX) everything is back to normal operations. AMS-IX is still investigating what
happened.

I wouldn't call having to disable one link in the ring between the four
locations because spanning tree wouldn't converge otherwise "back to
normal", but yes, the AMS-IX is back to working order, as the large
number of backlogged "we are experiencing an outage" messages on the
AMS-IX mailinglist that just came in indicate...

It's very interesting to see the traffic stats at
http://www.ams-ix.net/hugegraph.html Usually, incoming and outgoing
traffic is the same. But during this problem, much more traffic went out
than came in.

Iljitsch van Beijnum