nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Re: the cost of carrying routes]

From: Ratul Mahajan <ratul () cs washington edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joshua Smith wrote:

they could probably make some good money if they also charged for 'leaky'
networks - however, i think the sentiment amongst their customers would
not be favorable (you charge for misconfigurations?  some nerve you have)
it is probably one of those long term goals that you will almost never be
able to convince the powers-that-be of undertaking.

but i do pay for mistakes i make in other industries -- i pay for late
credit card payments and for parking where i should not. and these fines
keep me on my feet, and i try to blunder less often. why are running
networks different?

whats the incentive today to not make mistakes while running a network,
especially mistakes those that don't hurt yourself much? there is only
some amount of social pressure i think. wouldn't configuration errors go
down if providers/peers were to charge less for well-managed networks, or
charge more for poorly managed networks?

convincing customers just might be a matter of saying the right things.
for instance, "our services cost $Z in general, but if we find that you
manage your network well (some quantification), you pay only $Z-z (and
optionally, if you manage it very poorly, you pay $Z+z')."

        -- ratul

ps:  since i don't run networks myself, all of this may be something that is
obviously asinine.  would be great if someone was to point out if that is
the case, and why.

Ratul Mahajan <ratul () cs washington edu> wrote:

i have related question to ron's (a bit hypothetical but interesting
nonetheless).

if isps charged for bgp announcements, would the number of announcements
that shouldn't be made (e.g., those due to configuration errors and poor
operational practices) go down?

    -- ratul

they could probably make some good money if they also charged for 'leaky'
networks - however, i think the sentiment amongst their customers would
not be favorable (you charge for misconfigurations?  some nerve you have)
it is probably one of those long term goals that you will almost never be
able to convince the powers-that-be of undertaking.  i know i am having
a very difficult time convincing management that our network needs some
help - although after several recent, fairly successful attacks, they are
starting to listen.

joshua