nanog mailing list archives

Re: sprint passes uu?

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:40:21 -0400

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:25:21PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Well.. yeah.. but my hypothetical 64 /8's are twice address space than
your hypothetical 2,097,152 /24's.

Of course, but it's still a metric I see getting tossed about.

About the only conclusion that you can *safely* draw is that Sprint has
a more complicated network than UU does.  Now *hopefully*, they have
more customers too, or the Sprint backbone engineers will have to carry
a much higher complexity/customer ratio, which means when the senior
engineers finally snap under the pressure, we'll get junior engineers
making weird work-arounds that will just complicate things 5 years down
the road.

Or that they peer with even less people than UU does, and force people to
buy transit. But it makes an interesting point about that mythical "50% of
the internet" people talk about with regards to Worldcom, a lot of it is
the same routes, and the amount of single homed customers is a lot less.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras