nanog mailing list archives

RE: Cisco 7200 VXR with NPE-400 (was RE: The market must be comin g back)

From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph () istop com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:14:46 -0400 (EDT)

Based on our testing it looks like it all has to do with packet size.  With
small packets the throughput is very low.  With what Cisco calls an
"internet mix" of packet sizes throughput is much better.  When doing max
MTU packets, the throughput is of course the best.

The other thing I've found about traffic type is how sensitive
netflow is.  I was running it for a while, then I got a co-lo customer
that had a lot of UDP traffic with small packet sizes and rarely more than
a few packets between the same src/dest ip/port (much like DNS
queries).  It was enough to flatline the box and cause it to crash.

-Ralph