nanog mailing list archives

Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

From: woods () weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 23:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 16:03:11 (-0700), Scott Francis wrote: ]
Subject: Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person be scanning my
network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
by network admins against their own networks).

I scan networks and hosts very regularly for legitimate diagnostic
purposes as well as occasionally for curiosity's sake.  I've never
attacked any host or network that I was not directly responsible for.
If you don't want the public portions of your network mapped then you
should withdraw them from public view.

BTW, please be one heck of a lot more careful with your replies.  My
original reply to you was not copied to the list and I did not give you
permission to post a response quoting my words back to the list.

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <gwoods () acm org>;  <g.a.woods () ieee org>;  <woods () robohack ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>