nanog mailing list archives

Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

From: Scott Gifford <sgifford () suspectclass com>
Date: 18 May 2002 21:43:16 -0400

Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net> writes:

[...]

And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person be scanning my
network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
by network admins against their own networks).

Before choosing an onling bank, I portscanned the networks of the
banks I was considering.  It was the only way I could find to get a
rough assessment of their network security, which was important to me
as a customer for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure if I would have been impressed or annoyed if they had
stopped accepting packets from my machine during the scan.  :-)

-----ScottG.