nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product

From: PJ <briareos () otherlands net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:22:39 -0700

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Dan Hollis wrote:

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Rob Thomas wrote:
] I don't think spoofing will be a problem for the landmines. Most attacks
] (99%?) are tcp.
Hmm...  Not based on my research.  The most common attack capabilities in
the bots are ICMP and UDP flooders.  After that, IGMP.  Last, TCP.  Most
of the DoS tools contain the same attack types as the bots.
On the receiving end, upwards of 80% of all the woe I track is not TCP.

You miss the point of this:

We are not landmining for DOSing.

We are landmining to make it very dangerous for attackers to scan networks
and probe hosts.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

Are you now operating under the premise that scans != anything but the
prelude to an attack?  Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but
I would hate to think any legitimate scanning of a network or host
would result in a false positive.  Even more, I would hate to see the
advocation of a hostile reaction to what, so far, is not considered a
crime.

PJ

--
He thought of Musashi, the Sword Saint, standing in his garden more than three hundred years ago. "What is the 'Body of
a rock'?" he was asked.