nanog mailing list archives

RE: IP renumbering timeframe

From: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf () tndh net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:54:44 -0700

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2002 17:52:55 -0700
 "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf () tndh net> wrote:
Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Since I run a small AS :

I like this idea.

Since I believe in living dangerously :

I also think that a /64 should be reserved in the IPv6
address space,

A /64 would have no use in the proposed scheme since it identifies a
single subnet. I suspect you really want a /32 set aside since that
would provide routable space to allocate /48's to each 16 bit AS.

OK

and (32 bit) ASN's should be given their own /32 in a GLOP
like fashion
for IPv6.

I don't think the concept scales to 32 bit AS.

Why not ? /32 with 32 bit ASN still leaves a /64 for each ASN.

See above... What is the point of an ASN if all you are multi-homing is
a single subnet? Also, since mechanisms like rfc3041 somewhat rely on a
sparse utilization to quickly converge on a usable address, you would
never be able to demonstrate the efficiency you need to justify a larger
block.

Marshall

Tony

Leo Bicknell wrote:

In a message written on Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:27:49AM