nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP renumbering timeframe

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:48:50 -0400

On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:20:17 EDT, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>  said:

Since you have to connect to two or more providers to get an ASN,
and since the whole reason to have an ASN is to inject things into
the DFZ it doesn't seem like it would increase routing table size
by a huge amount.  It would eliminate one whole paperwork/justification
step (for your first address allocation).  For subsequent allocations
there is an example (that /24) of how efficiently the ISP uses the
space.

Unless I'm missing something, it will double the size of it, since that
/24 out of that /8 won't aggregate with their other address space.
(Hint - our AS has 198.82/16 and 128.173/16 and some other small blocks -
how many routes do YOU see for us?)

Also, there's no real reason to think that address space usage in that
bootstrap /24 will accurately reflect usage in a /20 allocated to them,
since THAT /20 will probably be sub-allocated to users/customers.  Heck,
in our AS, the nameservers and mailservers and the like would probably
fit into a /27 (maybe a /26), and wouldn't tell you anything about
the /20 that covers Torgeson Hall....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer