nanog mailing list archives

Re: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:23:01 -0400

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:54:05AM -0700, LeBlanc, Jason wrote:

uRPF and Radware DoShield, one DoShield per link btw edge router and core
router.  Use IDS (yes there is a way to capture all your traffic and
anaylyze it, regardless of bandwidth, no it isn't one box) to identify a
signature, build a filter, config filter on DoShield, up to ~200Mb/s per
DoShield of filtering with zero impact to legit traffic.  Scale horizontally
(add more links each with a DoShield on it) based on your ingress traffic.

I've seen many suggestions on this list, this is the only thing that works
for huge (100Mb/s+) attacks.  eBay is likely the biggest target on the net,
this works for us 90% of the time.  Is the HW expensive?  Yes. (~$35k per
DoShield I think)  It works, it scales.

You might want to take a look at CloudShield (www.cloudshield.com), they
have what can only be described as a pretty impressive looking box for
this kind of stuff.

There is no way a Cisco router can handle filtering attacks past a
certain point, nor is it capable of even filtering on some patterns in
attack packets.  Juniper is better, but still lacks some filtering
capabilities. Your router is a router, not a packet filter, give up
trying to make it do this until someone builds this into an ASIC on the
router.

Thats what the IP2 does, match bytes in the headers and come back with a
thumbs down or a thumbs up and a destination interface. It's really not
that much harder to match the bytes for a dest port against a compiled
ruleset and decide yes or no then it is to match the dest address against
a forwarding table and decide which nexthop.

They CAN filter on anything in the headers, it's just a matter of
convincing them that the specific filter you want is something they should
add to their software language and microcode. I'm sure as a core router
vendor they must hear every feature request imaginable and not know which
ones to follow up on. If anyone from Juniper is listening, I can tell you
4 things to add which will stop all existing packet kiddie tools in their
tracks. But then again, I'd rather just have a language for bitmatching at
any offset. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras