nanog mailing list archives

Re: Help with bad announcement from UUnet

From: "Mark E. Mallett" <mem () mv mv com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:25:00 -0500

No sooner do I hit send than do I get a note from UUnet that they
have fixed the problem.

Thanks to UUnet and sorry to the list.

-mm-

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 05:17:38PM -0500, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
Well, via UUnet.

We (AS3578) are announcing a netblock 198.175.254.0/24

A bogus announcement via UUnet from a UUnet customer is interfering
with this.  Is somebody at UUnet able to cut through some red tape and
fix it?  It's easy to verify that the announcement from AS6921 does
not produce a working route, and that the owner of the netblock does
not want it announced there.  I would like UUnet to block the bogus
announcement from its customer.

Reasonably gory detail:

That netblock was previously hooked up via InternetConnect.net (AS6921)
which has recently been bought at bankruptcy court by Covad.

Internetconnect.net continues to announce the netblock to UUnet.
There is nobody left at InternetConnect to respond to a request to
stop announcing it.  The announcement from AS6921 is interfering with
our valid announcent.  It's fairly easy to demonstrate that the
701->6921 path for this netblock does not work.

The owner of the netblock has contacted UUnet and asked them to stop
accepting the announcement.  Mostly he has gotten nowhere; the best
response he has been able to get is that the contract will expire in a
few months and the announcement will expire at that time.

I have contacted UUnet and have been told to take it up with my
upstreams 'cuz they won't deal directly with me.  They also said to
have a nice day.

I contacted my upstream of choice (Genuity) who said they can't talk
to UUNet on my behalf because it's not their business (despite the fact
that the announcement out of UUnet is interfering with the valid
announcement out of Genuity).  All around it's a pretty good gridlock
system.

Also: in the theory that the UUNet filters towards their customer may
be driven off the RADB I've attempted to remove the old RADB entry for
that netblock.  The maintainer for that entry is also defunct so I
requested a manual deletion; while I have hopes of that eventually
taking place, I guess the wheels turn slowly at the RADB, or maybe they
are waiting for the April deadbeat removal.

Complete detail:

[ nobody wants that ]

-mm-

--