nanog mailing list archives

Re: Survey on IBGP persistent route oscillation problem

From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:26:14 -0700

We have a similar situation (RR + always-compare-MED off), and the BGP table
version keeps changing at 1K/min (http://performance.cn.net:2003/). I
suspect some
route meet the criteria of IDR-oscillation draft. But in real world, it's
very hard to pick
 up the pattern depicted in the draft from a huge log of debug bgp output.

It's actually quite trivial to identify.  Have a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn12942.html

Juniper syntax would result in the same..

1.  How many time do our operator really find and affected by the
problem depicted in  draft-ietf-idr-route-oscillation-01.txt

I know of more than a few, and would bet that if additional folks
took the time to look, they'd realize it was occurring as well.

2. From my experience, most flapping seems to be oscillation route
which escaped the eBGP damping protection. And for this, we need
adjust damping parameters from RIPE 220 to make up.

Nope.  Dampening doesn't resolve this because it occurs
intrA-domain.

3.   Anyone see oscillation been magnified when injected
into RR (cluster structure) ?

Not sure I understand what you mean by "magnified"?

Have a look at the Cisco FN, it's useful in understanding and
identifying the problem.

-danny