nanog mailing list archives

Re: Testing Bandwidth performance

From: "todd glassey" <todd.glassey () worldnet att net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:04:04 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David G. Andersen" <dga () lcs mit edu>
To: "todd glassey" <todd.glassey () worldnet att net>
Cc: "Jared Mauch" <jared () puck Nether net>; "Martin Hannigan"
<hannigan () fugawi net>; "Wojtek Zlobicki" <wojtekz () idirect com>; "Alan Sato"
<asato () altrio net>; <nanog () trapdoor merit edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: Testing Bandwidth performance

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 06:18:00AM -0700, todd glassey mooed:

I have never been referred to as bovine before. I usually describe myself as
a small polar bear... Hmmm.

Oh and use something like a SNIFFER to generate the traffic. Most of
what we
know of as commercial computer's cannot generate more than 70% to 80%
capacity on whatever network they are on because of driver overhead and
OS
latency etc etc etc. It was funny, but I remember testing FDDI on a
UnixWARE
based platform and watching the driver suck 79% of the system into the
floor.

  Btw, if you've got a bit of time on your hands, the Click router
components have some extremely-low-overhead drivers (for specific
ethernet cards under Linux).

Good Point.

They can generate traffic at pretty
impressive rates.  They used them for testing DOS traffic for a while.

  http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/

Still there are very few parametric engines that will generate more than
100Mb/S traffic - continuously.

  (Most of the driver overhead you see is interrupt latency;

Depends on which OS you are running, and what encapsulation or other
packaging/unpackaging is done in the Driver also accounts for a substantial
amount of the compute model. If those services are done mostly in HW then
the systems I have played with will give you up to about 80% capacity. And
on ethernet that is not Collision-Free (i.e.run as full duplex), then you
have to deal with the line characteristics so with both engines competing to
flood the net you may actually get less than 80%  total performance...

click
uses an optimized polling style to really cram things through).  Also,
the new FreeBSD polling patches should make it so you can get more
throughput from your drivers when doing tests.  I understand there are
similar things for Linux.

The Linux Router Project has similar features.

  -Dave

--
work: dga () lcs mit edu                          me:  dga () pobox com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/