nanog mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: KPNQwest ns.eu.net server.

From: Arnold Nipper <arnold.nipper () de-cix net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:22:27 +0200

Hallo Sabine,

lange nichts gehoert ...

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 09:51:11AM +0200, Sabine Dolderer/Denic wrote:

At least each IXP member would have direct connectivity to such
infrastructural services (DNS, NTP, WHOIS, NNTP??) and thereby their
customers would benefit from it.

I agree that IXPs would be very gould locations as they offer network
diversity, but there is one question still open and that is who will be the
one running the and monitoring the server. And we at DENIC have seen in the
last years an increasing demand in running the servics by ourself as only
then we have the complete control and information about statistics, network
attacks, performance ...

Keep it simple ... the IXPs (e.g. Euro-IX) could/should provide the basis.
I.e. taking care for excellent colo, sufficient connectivity, one-stop-shop
etc.

Interested parties would install the services by themselves and would be
responsible to run them. Parties could be CENTR, DE-NIC, ICANN, EUxxx and so
on.

I would like to know more about the CENTR sss iniative. Whom should I contact?

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper                                  Email:  arnold.nipper () de-cix net
DE-CIX, The German Internet Exchange           Mobile: +49 172 2650958