nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stop it with putting your e-mail body in ATT attachments. Its annoying and no one can see your message

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () samurai sfo dead-dog com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:36:43 -0700

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:50:52PM -0500, John Palmer wrote:
There is nothing wrong with MS Outlook express. You need to stem

        Surely you must be joking.

your hostility towards Microsoft and recognize that they are the dominant
desktop (something like 90%) and you need to get used to it and stop
fighting.

        On NANOG?  Are you sure?

        So, I took the past three years of NANOG postings, and
grepped them for X-Mailer headers.  The sample consists of
20634 postings since June 14th, 1999.

        Of these 20634, 10996 didn't have X-Mailer headers and
although some may have this information elsewhere, I'm not
going to bother.

        Of the remaining 9638, there are 523 unique X-Mailer
references.  I disqualified 24 for being quoted, or random
X-Mailer discussion on NANOG.  (X-Mailer discussion seems
to be the ONLY thread that hasn't repeated itself in the
last month.)

        The breakdown:

        Microsoft               38.71% (not even half the way to 90%)
        Mozilla                 11.41%
        Eudora                  10.86%
        ELM                     6.63%
        exmh                    5.25%
        Web Mail                5.20%
        Mutt                    4.70%
        New MH                  3.64%
        VM                      2.36%
        Mulberry                1.90%
        Gnus                    1.27%
        MH                      0.96%

        If we include the postings with no X-Mailer in the sample,
Microsoft drops to 18.08% of the total -- I'm not aware of any
M$ email product that didn't include an X-Mailer header.

        Of course, about the only thing you can conclude from this
is that people with no X-Mailer post more often than anyone else ;)

        Still, 18% is a far cry from 90%.  Care to try that
again?

        --msa