nanog mailing list archives

Re: OC-768 availability?

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis () kurtis pp se>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:16:51 +0200

--On Monday, July 29, 2002 21:32:02 -0400 blitz <blitz () macronet net> wrote:

Seriously, I don't see OC768 coming online en masse until they get the
kinks worked out of optical switching. The transit times are so short
thru the innards, in the order of picoseconds, that electronics is way
too slow to perform such mundane tasks like determining where a packet is
supposed to go. Thus, all this will require optical computing to be
available cheaply and a lot more widespread than it is now.

...and :

a) Someone got the money to buy the gear

b) We have used the current capacity (see a).

- kurtis -