nanog mailing list archives

Re: WARNING: Whois mining operation (probably spam related).

From: Tony Rowley <rowley () netaxs com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 06:58:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Scott Francis wrote:

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:34:46AM -0600, nanog () adns net said:

Starting about 6am eastern time, we began getting several hundred hits per
second from IP address 195.188.22.6 to our WHOIS server.

It appears that they were running a rather well endowed dictionary against
the database.

Beware - these are spammers (I know the address very well). Check your logs
if you have any email servers or whois databases.

This is a jerk from England who is a known fraudster.
====
[sfrancis@silverlight:~]$ whois -r 195.188.22.6
<snip>
descr:        Please forward abuse issues
descr:        to abuse () blueyonder co uk
<snip>
====

http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/rules/aup.html

If this guy is obviously spamming, or data mining in preparation for
spamming, it seems that blueyonder.co.uk could be contacted to have his
access yanked. Failing that, cableinet.net could be contacted to have
blueyonder.co.uk yanked.

Of course, you may have already tried this and received little/no
cooperation. *sigh*

 Good luck dealing with blueyonder - they won't accept complaints sent by
means other than their webform.

Tony Rowley rowley () netaxs com |"No oath, no pledge, no vow greater than
  Netaxs Internet Services    |         this: to never give up."
    Philadelphia PA USA       |            - Kevin Smith