nanog mailing list archives

Re: global BGP instability

From: cowie () renesys com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:43:28 +0000 (GMT)

Several providers announced scheduled maintenance last week.
UUNET/Worldcom listed 60+ different cities in its maintenance
announcement  for Tuesday 2/19, and more on Thursday.  Abovenet
said they would be upgrading some of their routers on Monday 2/18
and Tuesday 2/19.  Sprint had a few maintenance items scheduled
for Tuesday.  It wouldn't surprise me if other providers had
also scheduled maintenance for Tuesday morning.

There doesn't seem to much variation in the total BGP announcements,
average latency or packet losses, so I don't think it was someone
tickling lots of BGP routers.

Thanks to all who responded.  It looks very much as if this surge
corresponds precisely with one of the above-mentioned maintenance windows
(further this deponent sayeth not).   If you own enough routers,
and tickle enough of them at once, you can cause quite a stir.   --jim