nanog mailing list archives

Re: White House to Propose System for Wide Monitoring of Internet (fwd)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:31:39 -0500

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:31:39 MST, "Wayne E. Bouchard" said:

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:12:43AM -0500, David Lesher wrote:

[This just jumped into the operational arena. Are you prepared
with the router port for John Poindexter's vacuum? What changes
will you need to make? What will they cost? Who will pay?]

Heard about this on the news this morning and you know, I am so not
worried about it.

IMO, it's so completely unfeasable at every level as to be actually
funny.

All the same, I suggest you forward the rest of your quite well-reasoned
comments to your congresscritter and/or the White House.  Remember that the
idea was probably propsed by people who have little or no clue of what the
actual impact would be - and the final decision will likely be made by
somebody with even less technical edge.

The truly scary part is that it could actually be approved....