nanog mailing list archives

Re: The magic security CD disc Re: HTTP proxies

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 21:50:20 -0500

In message <Pine.GSO.4.44.0212081952200.11337-100000 () clifden donelan com>, Sean
 Donelan writes:

Has anyone come out with a fix everything CD customers could use
to clean up their systems? This isn't an operating system specific
issue. Buggy and misconfigured software is running on Unix, Mac,
Windows, etc.

It can't be done, at least not usefully.

It's easy to turn things off; the hard part is knowing what should be
left on, given your needs, the threat environment, and other protective
measures.

I forget which of the Rainbow Series of books said it -- the Yellow
Book, I think -- but one of them noted that the same LAN that was
insecure in an office might be quite secure in a submerged submarine
with a highly-cleared crew aboard.

It is possible, though, to write something that would analyze a
configuration and present you with a sensible menu of choices.  It
could know, for example, that one can't disable rpcbind if other
RPC-based services are running.  But getting that right for even a
single release of a single OS is hard enough, let alone many releases
of many OSes.  And then, of course, you want to add advice to the user.

                http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)