nanog mailing list archives

Re: Totally OT, sorry; was (Re: Lack of Security)

From: John Fraizer <nanog () Overkill EnterZone Net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:52:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

The problem I have with all of the FAA action is that anyone with
a valid rating can rent a plane, even planes this large if they
have enough money.  I would guess the hijackers wanted a plane full
of people for additional shock value, but obtaining an empty (but

The passengers were a small "insurance policy" that they wouldn't be blown
out of the air by intercepting fighters.  It's psychologically difficult
enough to splash a camel-humping terrorist, let alone have to splash
60-300 innocent people who are unwillingly along for the ride.  The
terrorists knew that this moral issue would weigh in their favor.

full of fuel) plane would be even easier for them, and almost no
FAA security measures would stop them.  Additionally, on a private
plane they could load on it explosive cargo without too much effort,
adding even more punch to the process.

The same goes for rental cars/trucks.

I do believe we need to figure out how these planes were hijacked,
and take steps to prevent it from happening again.  That said, I
find it highly unlikely that eliminating curbside checkin will have
any effect other than to inconvenience travelers.

I agree.  Baggage checked at the curb goes through the same procedures as
baggage carried to the ticket counter.  It's just more convenient.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc