nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

From: "Joel Baker" <lucifer () lightbearer com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:12:07 -0600

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 07:00:03PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:

Right, the tradition has roots at least a few years further back
in the hack created by the "poor dialup shell account user" to allow
them to get SLIP (and, at some point, CSLIP and PPP) access to the net
without needing their own IP assigned by using a shell server they had an
account on, with it's IP address.  First done in TIA, then SLiRP.

That was... 1994 or earlier.

And TIA is essentially NAT, implemented in a manner that would be
considered peculiar compared to today's common implementations.

TIA was pervasive enough, and causing enough *problems*, that many ISPs
were banning it's use, as of fall, 1994 (I can pin it that accurately due
to circumstances that only existed during that period, when I was dealing
with it).

SLiRP was around by, at latest, mid-1995, in response to it. Linux had
functional masquerade code at that time, as well, though it was a royal
pain to deal with (IE, nothing has changed much :)
--
lucifer () lightbearer com              http://www.lightbearer.com/~lucifer