nanog mailing list archives

Re: Which had more impact on the net?

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:41:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 cowie () renesys com wrote:
      http://www.renesys.com/projects/bgp_instability

These pages contain some unsettling analysis of the effects
of Microsoft worms like Code Red II and Nimda on global BGP
routing instability.  They've been significantly extended
since last week, and we *strongly* invite the NANOG community
to send us supporting data (or even anecdotes, let's be
generous) from the propagation periods.

I read over it quickly, a lot of great data.

One thing you may want to consider is the difference multi-hop
BGP has in your data collection.  For several years, router
vendors give priority to locally sourced routing packets on
local interfaces.  But on multi-hop sessions, I believe that
prioritization is lost which may show up as more instability
than is actually present at the local BGP exchanges.