nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

From: Bob K <melange () yip org>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 22:29:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Doug Clements wrote:

A business that requires direct Internet access can't use NAT at the border.

Not true. While I expect you will take this as nitpicking, one:one NAT is
very conveniently used for servers while one:many NAT can be used for
generic workstation access while preserving a consistent LAN numbering
scheme. Anything that a "full" internet connection gets you will also work
with one:one NAT.

...except current implementations of IPSEC:

http://www.isp-planet.com/technology/2001/ipsec_nat.html

Luckily, the above article also mentions the fixes that are in the
works...

--
Bob <melange () yip org> | Yes.  I know.  That is, indeed, *not* mayonnaise.