nanog mailing list archives

Re: slowing down every 60 seconds due to BGP scaner

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:40:34 -0400

"Robert E. Seastrom" wrote:

Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com> writes:

"Robert E. Seastrom" wrote:

"David McGaugh" <david_mcgaugh () eli net> writes:

We've brought this concern up to Cisco before and they assured us that
everything is performing normally. You will see this when performing
router to router pings as well however, we have been told that packet
forwarding does not suffer. ICMP replies from the router (not through
the router) are given a very low CPU priority.

Seconded.  Ping response times or lack of ping response from routers
signifies *nothing*.  Ditto for traceroutes, &c.  Ping *through* the
router, not *to* the router.

We do streaming, and this causes a freeze up both in and out bound.
In bound there seem to be losses. Outbound all is buffered and nothing is
lost.

pinging the router causes a freeze-up?  or the router is freezing up
on bgp updates every n seconds?  platform/release ?

                                        ---rob

Dear Rob;

I said nothing about pings. The router is freezing (or at least slowing a lot) every
67.5 +- 3 seconds. We this for both inbound and outbound - outbound things are
buffered but inbound they seem to be lost.

A Cisco 7204 running Version 12.2(2)T1

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme () multicasttech com
http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
 Check the status of multicast in real time :
 http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html