nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yes it's off topic but who cares right now.

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:00:51 -0400

I think Randy understands all too well.  This war will not be fought on
some distant shore.  It will not be fought in Afghanistan.  It will be
fought right here--in our houses, in our streets, in our workplaces.  Are
you all ready for that?

The USA will retaliate, but it must not do so capriciously, and it must
not do so with the insane mob mentalities that have been floating about
this and other lists.  Make no mistake, our country must defend itself.
But even in the wake of these heinous acts we cannot let our conduct make
us the terrorists and oppressors and imperialists that the fanatics say we
are.

It is truly a cycle.  Not only of violence and hate, but of staying true
to our values.  When a bully is rampant in the school yard, if one person
knocks this bully out, the bully is still free to pick on other, weaker
souls.  It is only when all stand together and refuse to be bullied or to
support the bully's actions that the aggressor finds he has no audience,
and thus no power.

and the hardest part is doing so without being bullies ourselves.  and we
should be sensitive about this as we are not _perceived_ as having done
well in this respect for the last half century.  and this latter seems to
be a factor in the mess we find ourselves today.

randy