nanog mailing list archives

Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:34:53 -0400

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:57:49 CDT, "Quibell, Marc" said:
I don't believe I have it backwards, since RFC1191, the one you quoted,
states:

Oh.. What you originally said was:

off ICMP routing. And no I do not believe it is used across the internet,
and if it does, it is probably hindering performance since it's probably
using a lower mtu than is allowed, such as 576 or smaller. It would also

Which I read as "and if it (PMTUd) *is* used, it is probably hindering
performance".  If what you meant was "if it isn't used, you're stuck with
576, which hinders performance", that that is quite correct...

I imagine this'll all change though whenever IPv6 comes about since the min.
MTU size will be (approx.) 1200. As another poster stated, IPv6 requires
PMTU, so this could become a nasty little problem.

That other poster was me too... Unless I'm confused... ;)

Hopefully we'll get lucky and the clue level required to deploy IPv6 will be
high enough that people will get the obvious stuff right. ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst