nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NEWS] FBI To Require ISPs To Reconfigure E-mail Systems (fwd)

From: Christian Kuhtz <christian () kuhtz com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:01:54 -0400

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Paul Wouters wrote:

The NL has already answered this question last januari. When asked who
needs to be tappable, the answer is "everyone who is offering a public
internet service".

And they have a strange notion of the word "public" too. I got the
distinct impression (but nobody wanted to go on record for anything) they
feel the Web server that's under my desk at home provides a "public"
service too. So I should be prepared to aid the Dutch government in
intercepting my own traffic. Which to me would seem to defeat the purpose,
but what do I know?

Well, now, see, if you were a terrorist, you'd obviously happily cooperate.