nanog mailing list archives

Re: redistribution

From: Chrisy Luke <chrisy () flix net>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 19:10:22 +0000

Randy Bush wrote (on Nov 03):
if you don't, then traffic from cust2 to customers of exchange peers will
trombone across the expensive link.

and back again, and back again, and ...

Only if you're mad enough to try to run BGP across a network with
forwarding devices in the middle that don't.

Even a monetary argument for this weak. Routing decisions in a routing
domain need to be deterministic otherwise you risk the loops you mention.
In a small network you may be able to get away with it. I personally have
better things to worry about and I am sure most people do too.

IGP's rarely make the same decisions as EGP's. They don't have the same
data to base their decisions on.

Chris.
--
== chris () easynet net                                    T: +44 845 333 0122
== Global IP Network Engineering, Easynet Group PLC     F: +44 845 333 0122