nanog mailing list archives

RE: Photo Op: You too can have your picture taken with a.root-ser vers.net

From: "Larson, Matt" <mlarson () verisign com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:17:16 -0500

Chris Woodfield wrote:
IIRC, Verisign operates every gtld-servers.net server,

That's correct: VeriSign Global Registry Services operates the name servers
and ancillary equipment at all 13 com/net/org name server sites, which are
distributed throughout the world.

Does Verisign use the same hardware and OS on all of these
servers, or are the vendors distributed?

We are in the process of diversifying all aspects of the com/net/org name
server constellation: name server software, name server hardware and OS, and
network hardware and OS.  Our goal is to eliminate the possibility of a
single hardware or software defect affecting all the sites.

Matt
--
Matt Larson <mlarson () verisign com>
VeriSign Global Registry Services