nanog mailing list archives

SUMMARY: Strange BGP phantom announce remaining

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer () gitoyen net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:13:04 +0100

First, the problem disappeared because Colt cleared the router which
was deceived by a bogus announce from Telecom Italia. Thanks.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 03:16:14PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer () gitoyen net> wrote
 a message of 33 lines which said:

I probably made a stupid mistake when changing my BGP announces but I

Apparently, I made no mistake. According to analysis done by Jim Cowie
with data at http://gradus.renesys.com, the change was properly
done. But at least one router in Telecom Italia did not receive it.

There was nothing we could do, since it took place at a far away
location. Without the action from Colt, we could have try to
re-announce the more specific route for ten minutes (let it
propagate), then to withdraw it again, hoping it will clear it. Next
time, I'll try :-)

Does you have any idea why routers at Colt still see the old announce?

The question should have been "Why routers at Telecom Italia corrupted
Colt's database?". I received two hypothesis: