nanog mailing list archives

Re: EMAIL != FTP

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom EU net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:06:22 -0700

delivered.  SMTP is for mail, FTP/HTTP should be used for files.  Not to
mention 99% of the time they are very rude to receive.  Just imagine, you're
on vacation somewhere dialed in from a hotel that is charging you a buck a
minute.  You go to pick up the email that is really important to you, but
you can't because some jerk decided that they would send you the most recent
funny AVI they saw on the web, when they could have just sent you the URL.
I don't see any bad things. I'll open IMAP folder, saw huge message and will
delete it - just ON the server. What's the problem with the mail protiocols?

If I use SMCP - OK, this message will have low priority and will not delay
otherts. And then are you expecting to use SMCP over dialup link with your
notebook?

Just again - if you have some technology problems, use better technology, not
limit the services.