nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stability of the Internet?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:01:45 +0000 (UCT)

Since INT is for intenational treaty organization, the use of INT internally
would create a collision. Thereby, masking the entire INT TLD from the
clueless org that did that. In past /ICANN/DNSO discussions it has been
suggested, that we reserve a LOCAL or PRIVATE TLD for internal use only. Let
me know what y'all think and which one y'all prefer. My personal preference
is for both (three tiered <Internet>/Local/Private). The next question is;
should this be an RFC?

        INT was originally earmarked for multinational organizations. It
        was then inclusive of INTernet infrastructure and only later was
        the multinational charter clarified to restrict these groups to
        international treaty organizations.

        There is work being done in the IETF to create such a private
        use TLD.

--bill