nanog mailing list archives

RE: jumbo frames

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 22:58:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Lane Patterson wrote:

      "Mid-jumbo": say 4470: the idea is to make sure a backbone can
              preserve its MTU across both ethernet, ATM, and POS links
              within its diameter, and conceivably between networks via
              IX's that support jumbos.  This in fact may be critical
              for folks running large ISIS implementations that need
              to ration # of LSPs:

This is what I find most interesting. If we can just have GE support
basically the same size as POS etc, then it becomes much more useful.

Too bad ciscos 3GE card only supports 2450 MTU. The 1GE supports 9180 and
the PA-GE supports 4470. Oh joy, pick a standard, glad there are so many
to choose from.

It seems more newer L2 GE-switch manufacutrers support jumbo (real jumbo,
up to at least 8192, most of them even higher) than the older router
manufacturers (or is it just cisco?).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se