nanog mailing list archives

Re: dsl providers that will route /24

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:21:03 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Just becuase the medium is a layer 2 bridge between you doesn't mean they
couldn't stick a cisco xxxx and run BGP on the other end, ethernet to
'ethernet (really BVI).

   ISP|-atm0------|DSL Cloud|-------|DSL bridge|-----e0-|cisco something|

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Steve Sobol wrote:

I said

Residential DSL is typically a bridged solution, meaning you don't
even get to use a router... which renders the answer to this question a
moot point...

Alex Rubenstein questioned:

Why?
You can announce the space on the clients' behalf...

Ok, and what will they do with it, since I don't know of any residential
DSL services that offer routing?

**SJS (who is apparently missing something obvious)

--
Steven J. Sobol/CTO/JustThe.net LLC | sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net
SAY IT LOUD: I'M GEEK AND I'M PROUD! | 888.480.4NET (4638) 216.619.2NET (2638)

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex () nac net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --