nanog mailing list archives

Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

From: Alex Kamantauskas <alexk () tugger net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:54:58 -0500 (EST)

2. Are there differences between how New.net domain names and
.COM/.NET/.ORG domain names work?  There are some differences, but in many
ways the domain names work the same.

 Nope.  You query a resolver, and it returns the best answer that it
 knows.  Resolvers only do what you tell them to do.

One difference is that in order for people to see New.net domain names
they must be either accessing the Internet through one of our many ISP
partners or they must have downloaded and installed our Web browser
plug-in.

 In order to use the New.net names, you just need to query a resolver that
 knows about them.  The '.com/.net/.org' block has a distinct advantage,
 since most resolvers find out about their servers by default.

--
Alex Kamantauskas
alexk () tugger net