nanog mailing list archives

RE: Statements against new.net?

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:58:10 -0800

From: Adam Rothschild [mailto:asr () latency net]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 11:44 PM

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 07:20:55PM -0800, Roeland Meyer wrote:
ISP specific

...works reasonably well if you want to multihome w/ BGP, but cannot
honestly justify a provider-independent IP allocation as per registry
guidelines, assuming some level of common sense is exercised when
planning things.

CIDR swamps are not cool.

Sorry I'm not an authority on what's cool in your book, but why not?

Because you can't change your upstream and keep your net-block. 'tis the
nature of CIDR, non?

BTW, you are SERIOUSLY missing the point. Please pardon my clue-bat.

It must be portable and routable. See, I just created a market
differentiator.

So, encourage the ARIN to offer micro-allocations today, and upstreams
to listen to /24 (or whatever) and shorter out of this space, if and
when it does become available.  With the backing of MHSC, I'd imagine
such a task should be effortless.

I was answering the point, that there was no particular advantage between
one IP addr block and another. I was disproving that statement. Please learn
to understand the difference between making a point and advocating a
position. BTW, ARIN is perfectly willing to delegate portable /24's, they
just won't do you any good because of route prefix filtering, at /20 or
greater. This is one clue that you may be missing.

Personally, I think there is a problem, but I'm the first one to admit that
I may not have the ultimate answer. Extending prefixes to /24's may be AN
answer. I wouldn't want to see it longer than that, however. That would be
inefficient. Most sites that I work with are perfectly happy with a /24, but
may not fit in a /25. Mind you, this does NOT include workstations. A /24 is
a good sized data center.

You might also catch the clue that, as folks migrate more to RAIC (Redundant
Array of Inexpensive Computers) configurations, they will swallow more IP
addrs. When I can get a 100 node Linux cluster to do the job of a Sun e6500,
for one-tenth the cost, I'll be more than happy to burn the IP addrs. Now,
try and renumber/test/redeploy that mess in a day, or even a week.

BTW, i've been getting comments that some folks are biasing
evaluations of some clients, based on the ip addrs of the client's
hosts.

Oh my.  I thought all one needed to be stylin' was a low AS number.
Do tell, which IP blocks are prestigious, and which are not?

Actually, investor folk look at some of that for obvious (to everyone but
you) reasons. Which co-los are being used, as well as how many of them, make
a big statement on robustness.  However, too many locations indicate wastage
of funds. It also indicates access to bandwidth and scaleability.