nanog mailing list archives

Re: DECNet over IP?

From: Simon Lockhart <simonl () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:30:22 +0000

Has anyone had any experience successfully getting native DECNet packets
encapsulated in an IP packet and transmitted over an IP network? The
solution I am trying to create will allow VAXes to continue to talk DECNet
on their LANs and have the ability to communicate with DECNet areas on a WAN
via IP. Essentially we are try to remove the DECNet protocol from our
intranet while not disrupting location's DECNet configurations.

I've not tried it, but my gut reaction would be to use GRE tunnels. Have
you looked on cisco.com for sample configs?

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516